Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK! Got couple of trains! Now what?

+4
Captain Zuloo
Hemish
Lightningtiger
BrickTango
8 posters

Go down

OK! Got couple of trains! Now what? Empty OK! Got couple of trains! Now what?

Post by BrickTango Thu 25 Nov 2010, 8:16 am

Hi all,

I accidentally bought a train set and that led to other purchases!!! legorolleyes I have no idea about LEGO trains as I never set one up but, I need a little bit of help in trying to figure out what else to buy and what to not worry about! So far train related lego I bought are:

4511 High Speed Passenger Train
4841 Hogwarts Express (dunno if power function can be added to this!)
7850 Straight Tracks (what is this for? 9V?)
7851 Curved Tracks (what is this for? 9V?)
7938 Passenger Train
7937 Train Station

will prob get the Cargo train sooner or later!

I probably won't be able to set anything up before my Christmas break, but I'd like to have enough bits and pieces to put something together that runs well. What else do I need?

Cheers,
BrickTango
BrickTango
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-06-18

Back to top Go down

OK! Got couple of trains! Now what? Empty Re: OK! Got couple of trains! Now what?

Post by Lightningtiger Thu 25 Nov 2010, 8:27 am

Buy at least a pair of 7936 crossings, and change the second digger into a MOC rail maintance vehicle.
Keep on track ! legohappy
Lightningtiger
Lightningtiger
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Title : Town MOC builder genius !
Number of posts : 1668
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Back to top Go down

OK! Got couple of trains! Now what? Empty Re: OK! Got couple of trains! Now what?

Post by Hemish Thu 25 Nov 2010, 11:22 am

Are those track packs compatible with the newer rc trains?
You want a couple of 7896
This is a good buy
I purchased that as a good starter set of track

Hemish
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Zuloo Thu 25 Nov 2010, 1:34 pm

So you're in a little poo track wise. All the track is compatible with RC and PF trains. What you'll have trouble with though, is the 9v passenger train. It requires electrified rail which is very expensive, so unless you can get lots of it for an extremely good price, I would probably sell the passenger train off again.
All your other trains will run smoothly on the track you've purchased already. legohappy
Captain Zuloo
Captain Zuloo
Pirate Administrator
Pirate Administrator

Title : I say alot of things
Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2009-03-21

http://www.zulooweb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Phonj Thu 25 Nov 2010, 2:39 pm

Another problem you will face is that the 7850 and 7851 straight and curved track packs are for the old 4.5V/12V systems which were discontinued (in Australia) in 1991. While the track widths are compatible; the means of connecting track pieces types are not. In the same vein as Captain Zuloo - unless you plan on collecting the vintage (1980-1990) "Grey era" 4.5V and 12V trains (such as the classic 7740) it may be an idea to sell off the 7850 and 7851 track sets.

The Phonj
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Intrastella Fri 26 Nov 2010, 1:37 am

That sure is a combination of train parts.

I would advise concentrating on the newer RC tracks as they should be around in the shops for a few years...

You can merge the 4.5v track types with the newer tracks but it will all look odd. Having said that, my master plan for my home display is to have a pre 1990s area next to a modern area with PF trains running across the whole lot.

I would probably sell the 4511 9V, or fork out a grand or so for track... If you got the controller etc as well then you are part way there and it may be worth buying some straight 9v track.
Intrastella
Intrastella
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by BrickTango Fri 26 Nov 2010, 4:27 am

Thanks for feedback guys! I know it is a bit of mix pot!!! legotounge

I just ordered 30 curved and 40 straight RC train tracks, 2 swith point left and 2 switch right!
Also ordered: 10 9V curved, 15 9V straight, 2 switch point left and 2 switch point right.

The 4511 is complete!

The 7850 Straight Tracks and 7851 Curved Tracks are MISB! So I might hang on to that for a little bit!

Advice still is welcome! Thank you!

BrickTango
BrickTango
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

OK! Got couple of trains! Now what? Empty Change and rebuild the loco

Post by Sankt Nicolas Sat 27 Nov 2010, 1:31 am

Captain Zuloo wrote:So you're in a little poo track wise. All the track is compatible with RC and PF trains. What you'll have trouble with though, is the 9v passenger train. It requires electrified rail which is very expensive, so unless you can get lots of it for an extremely good price, I would probably sell the passenger train off again.
All your other trains will run smoothly on the track you've purchased already. legohappy

Sankt Nicolas
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by BrickTango Mon 10 Jan 2011, 6:48 am

This is how my first attempt at a lay out looked like from my mishmash of parts

OK! Got couple of trains! Now what? IMG_1608

OK! Got couple of trains! Now what? IMG_1619

Cheers,
BrickTango
BrickTango
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemish Mon 10 Jan 2011, 9:24 am

There is a silly amount of fun to be had playing trains with your kids
Mine love it

Hemish
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

OK! Got couple of trains! Now what? Empty Track design

Post by Sankt Nicolas Wed 12 Jan 2011, 1:33 am

Hi Hemish,

Looks good. Try to get Track Design (a design tool from the old days). The tool to build and create your ideal track, without youll have to rebuild it over and over again.
Adding your stock into the program allows you to use all the track in the most useable design.
Did you obtain 4,5 V tracks ? If so you could use them as a side track to set your trains apart.

Have fun and keep building legowink
Nicolas

Sankt Nicolas
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Wed 12 Jan 2011, 6:59 am

Track Design is no longer supported and I think can't be because the original source code was lost if I recall correctly. If you're new to train cad tools it's probably worth getting familiar with Bluebrick which is getting regular updates at the moment.
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down