Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What I bought today

+71
Lego3D
G Time
Ajax
SnapLock
Kaila
jigsaw
feuerbogen
Red_Five
BrickManLJ
wayne.m.j
LEGO_JOJO
Oddleaf
leebattersby
shieldzee1
haz
Jasen
Brickenzy
dogfin
Brickton
Maetira
Tsitra
juniorbrickie
alienathan
brickbuster
Xyver
mattman
dosker
brickie
phantom59
bradcoll
AnitaE
TastesLikeLamb
Baskin
lostdriveway
Lego Mastery
NoShelfWear
TazManiac
jvpski3
Lightningtiger
aresze
HRTTIM
shnake
Chaucey
Intrastella
BrickTango
ennjay
Paul B
Hemish
Civic Bossman
aZz
guymontag
Free Spirit
Captain Havoc
Swashbuckler Petrie
Alcyone
Bodville
Star_wars_rules
hollisbrick
dhoman01
Nick
Captain Zuloo
marvinblue
Optimus Dragon
Paul Baulch
peterab
Blockbuster
Cpt. PB
Redboost
Brickthing
Darth Legois
Keetong
75 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

What I bought today - Page 8 Empty Re: What I bought today

Post by guymontag Mon 15 Feb 2010, 6:24 am

Bodville wrote:
guymontag wrote:I think if your everyday shopper saw this on a regular basis, they would love to buy it, even if they weren't into Lego.
They do look great, I'm sure everybody that saw them would agree. However when they saw the price of just one of these sets most people wouldn't buy. They are a collectors set, hence the price. Capt Z did very well with his $. How many people, that were not into Lego models, would shell out $500?

I still reckon there is demand out there for this stuff. Ebay is proof of this. a NIB Cafe Corner went to $360 a month ago. I was shocked. o.O I still think the way for Lego is to cultivate the AFOL market. Convert people from just thinking Lego is a children's toy. Your right $700 for children's plastic bricks is obscene in one persons eyes, but its the emotional value that will pull at people's heart strings and make them say to themselves. "yes I must have that". Because that's exactly whats happend to all of us. its ceased being childrens toys, it generates emotional value to us.

Take womens handbags and shoes. If you are married to a woman and she has friends or sisters, they look and drool over this stuff all the time and "some" don't have any problem in dropping $600 - $1000 on a Berbury, Gucci, Prada or any other name brand. The rest of their outfit may look like crap but hey they've got this expensive handbag. None of us would dream of such a thing but if we had spare dollars we wouldn't mind dropping it down on Lego.

sorry this has gone off topic, but I really think that the Lego group can do better for AFOL, after all most AFOL's grew up with lego as children and AFOL's have deep pockets but kids have to get it through their parents. I really would love to see this more in stores. I can only remember seeing town plan once in myer and for a very limited time. I wan't true AFOL at the time but I was really holding onto the box and thinking about it. $250.... $250... nahh... But just pure eye candy, I was so close to pulling the trigger. I regret it now, because I'm AfOL and will never see it again, but emotionally it touched me. go ahead laugh... but this is what Lego can do....
guymontag
guymontag
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Title : I need an avatar!
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by marvinblue Mon 15 Feb 2010, 10:05 am

guymontag wrote:I still reckon there is demand out there for this stuff. Ebay is proof of this. Your right $700 for children's plastic bricks is obscene in one persons eyes, but its the emotional value that will pull at people's heart strings and make them say to themselves. "yes I must have that". Because that's exactly whats happend to all of us. its ceased being childrens toys, it generates emotional value to us.

Take womens handbags and shoes. If you are married to a woman and she has friends or sisters, they look and drool over this stuff all the time and "some" don't have any problem in dropping $600 - $1000 on a Berbury, Gucci, Prada or any other name brand. The rest of their outfit may look like crap but hey they've got this expensive handbag.

sorry this has gone off topic, but I really think that the Lego group can do better for AFOL, after all most AFOL's grew up with lego as children and AFOL's have deep pockets but kids have to get it through their parents. I really would love to see this more in stores. Go ahead laugh... but this is what Lego can do....
guymontag, I'm with you. I would love to see 10197, as well as the other Modulars, in good supply at a few places around Australia. Although we have had the first release of City this year, I think that generally us Aussies seem to get the world's rejects. Take 10199 for example. While the rest of the world was whinging about their local's running out of stock just before Christmas, Australia didn't even get a look-in. Yes, I could've bought it from S@H, but I refuse to pay the inflated prices plus postage. As for 10197, S@H raised their AUD RRP buy $20 and it not even in Aussie stores yet!! legoheadbang I think that us AFOL's do get a raw deal sometimes. I know that TLG's market is obviously kids, but like you said, their parents have to fund it. If we were better looked after, then we would definately be talking up TLG to more people.
marvinblue
marvinblue
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Bodville Mon 15 Feb 2010, 10:52 am

The comparison to women and their love of shoes and handbags is laughable. The only thing women love more than shoes is chocolate.

Well I just can't follow your logic here. You started with the everyday shopper and now your including ebay Lego purchaser's and then finally AFOLs? Now MarvinBlue thinks you're talking about getting better deals for AFOLs.

I agree that in Australia the consumer gets the raw deal, in electronics, clothing, Lego, you name it. It sucks that we can't buy sets we see elsewhere in the local shop. Welcome to planet earth, it's consumer driven. That's not TLC's fault, they are just another company trying to make a profit. It's simply a matter of economics (it's not personal) and Australia doesn't matter. It's considered the dumping ground for everything you can't sell anywhere else.

guymontag wrote:"Convert people from just thinking Lego is a children's toy"
I can't see that ever happening after making toys for 70 years. What changed is your opinion because you got older. Lego make money from making toys for children, that's their market, that's where the profit is. They do however still give the AFOLs some sets to cheer about, we can be thankful for that.
Bodville
Bodville
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Title : Title hater
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-07-08

http://home.netspeed.com.au/mephisto/bodville/default.html

Back to top Go down

Post by guymontag Mon 15 Feb 2010, 12:51 pm

Bodville

Why is my logic hard to follow?.

I am simply putting forward the case that there is demand out there for mature Lego sets. That this demand is stronger than probably Lego directors realise. I can't quantify it, as I have no data. I actually think that Australia probably has the same demand RATIO for mature lego sets as the U.S. compared to childrens sets. The main point is that as AFOLs have a steady stream of income they can satisfy their hobby without having to wait for birthdays and Christmas. The point about women and shoes is that we are prepared to pay to support our hobby.

I wasn't talking about price and supply side issues. Its another matter we could all talk about for ages.

I think in time Lego will foster and grow the AFOL market. There is no reason why Lego can't support these 2 groups. Its certainly taken a step in the right direction with its modular theme. Being modular also encourages the enthusiast to keep buying to complete the look.

I also think strongly people can and will convert to AFOL. What you do with your exhibition is helping this. Is this not a good thing? The internet has helped the AFOL market tremendously. We can all be inspired and encouraged to moc from places like Anzfol, EB, moc pages. Even brickfilming and youtube increases exposure for AFOL. In 70 years a LOT has changed with Lego. Just take the Lego element. Its not just a brick. So many varied pieces and now even more colours. The minifig is also central to generating interest in Lego as the minifig themselves convey a lot of emotion.
guymontag
guymontag
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by Bodville Mon 15 Feb 2010, 2:25 pm

Ok you missed my point so let's back track a little.
guymontag wrote:I think if your everyday shopper saw this on a regular basis, they would love to buy it, even if they weren't into Lego
I disagree with that, that's my provocative. I think that people willing to fork out $500 or more would already be FOLs with disposable income (more than likely AFOLs). People in the dark age (not collecting Lego sets) would more likely be influenced by much cheaper models or by StarWars or other themed sets. However you then changed tacked and
guymontag wrote:I really think that the Lego group can do better for AFOL
The AFOL market is tiny compared to the kids toy market. Parents do buy $500 Lego sets for kids if they are tractors or SW space ships. We see that reflected with the types of sets Lego produces. I wonder how much each AFOL would need to spend a year to even up the AFOL/kid purchase ratio? Most adults (The ones I know in the dark age) would view the modular building series as a plastic doll house. A toy!
guymontag wrote:That this demand is stronger than probably Lego directors realise. I can't quantify it, as I have no data.
Well you can guarantee that the directors of this billion dollar company does have the data regarding consumer spending and use it to make the big decisions about their product offerings.
Bodville
Bodville
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Title : Title hater
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-07-08

http://home.netspeed.com.au/mephisto/bodville/default.html

Back to top Go down

Post by guymontag Mon 15 Feb 2010, 11:06 pm

A bit of syntax issues here might be confusing things. I bundle people in their dark ages as everyday shoppers as they have not acknowledged their consumption for Lego.

We can disagree, that's fine and what makes us all individual.

IMO, Lego has just started to scratch the surface with products for AFOL. Time will tell whether we will start to see a rebalancing of more quantity of AFOL type sets available for consumers in a traditional bricks and mortar distribution channel. The lack of 10197 on the shelves and 10199 (as Marvinblue indicated) could be because actual demand for this product outstriped estimated demand. Perhaps TLC needs to ensure their primary market the U.S. gets all stock allocated. Hence why Australia never got to see 10197 on shelves let alone 10199... I'm just guessing...

Agree the ratio is highly skewed to kids sets. I never said lego should devote all their resources for Afol or most for AFOL, they will develop as where they see the demand and profit. But just having a bit more product out there and available in view for the general public and FOL's, will generate more interest and slowly a greater acknowledgement that Lego can be for adults too. Its all a matter of perception and a massive WIN if TLC can bring people out of dark ages and into consuming Lego on a regular basis. But this can't be done if the product isn't even in front of our eyes. This is my whole point.
guymontag
guymontag
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Tue 16 Feb 2010, 6:20 am

Unfortunately TLG doesn't really value the Australian market, even for the kids lines, the AFOL stuff just doesn't rate any attention. As an easy way of servicing the market TLG occassionally offers the exclusive sets to a retailer, as a one off for a promotion or sale. That's generally why there are limited numbers.

The reality is the sales numbers for LEGO in Australia, don't compare with Germany or the US so there's not much point concentrating here rather than there.
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by aZz Wed 17 Mar 2010, 11:15 am

Hmmm have to type this in a hurry before the wife finds me......Over the weekend i bought the grand emporium ,Fire Station,market street,2 more modular houses from kfart btw still 65$ hmm and plane an limo and half dozen other sets.Now to get back in the misses good books so I can continue my addiction lol.
aZz
aZz
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Title : Mooooooo
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Zuloo Wed 17 Mar 2010, 9:43 pm

Holy crap, you just blew your yerly budget there aZz! legolaugh
Captain Zuloo
Captain Zuloo
Pirate Administrator
Pirate Administrator

Title : I say alot of things
Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2009-03-21

http://www.zulooweb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Free Spirit Thu 18 Mar 2010, 4:54 am

I haven't gone Lego-ballistic like Azz, just purchased the Fire Station Modular before I missed out on it.

Just a shame I had to wait until now as it would have been a great addition to the Lego Display at the Model Expo being conducted this weekend.
Free Spirit
Free Spirit
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2009-12-20

https://brickstacular.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by guymontag Thu 18 Mar 2010, 5:43 am

Free Spirit wrote:I haven't gone Lego-ballistic like Azz, just purchased the Fire Station Modular before I missed out on it.

Just a shame I had to wait until now as it would have been a great addition to the Lego Display at the Model Expo being conducted this weekend.

was it store bought or just shop at home?
guymontag
guymontag
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by Free Spirit Thu 18 Mar 2010, 8:49 am

I bought mine from Bricks to the World who I might add have very limited stocks of both the Green Grocer and the Fire Station so be quick if your keen to buy.
Free Spirit
Free Spirit
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2009-12-20

https://brickstacular.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by aZz Thu 18 Mar 2010, 10:38 am

Mmm Wife's been away on buisness for two days and the lounge room has turned into a lego bombsite ....you know how it is when your working on a wip lol.Ooooo better get to cleaning up before she gets home.
aZz
aZz
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Zuloo Thu 18 Mar 2010, 2:23 pm

Ooooh, you're going to be in trouble when she gets home... legolaugh
Captain Zuloo
Captain Zuloo
Pirate Administrator
Pirate Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by marvinblue Sun 21 Mar 2010, 5:31 am

I picked up the Farm from TRU yesterday for my daughter for Christmas. Ticketed at $99.98 and with 20% yesterday, I couldn't resist. She'll love it!!
marvinblue
marvinblue
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Zuloo Sun 21 Mar 2010, 5:37 am

marvinblue wrote:I picked up the Farm from TRU yesterday for my daughter for Christmas. Ticketed at $99.98 and with 20% yesterday, I couldn't resist. She'll love it!!
Did you really buy it for her, or did you buy it for you? legotounge
Captain Zuloo
Captain Zuloo
Pirate Administrator
Pirate Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by marvinblue Sun 21 Mar 2010, 6:03 am

No, its for her, although I'll have fun helping to build it!! legoeyeshutlaughing
marvinblue
marvinblue
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Back to top Go down

Post by aZz Sun 21 Mar 2010, 9:24 am

Ahh nice price for the farm i'v been waiting for it to drop in price.
aZz
aZz
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Zuloo Sun 21 Mar 2010, 9:40 am

You also got $20 worth of cows! legolaugh
Captain Zuloo
Captain Zuloo
Pirate Administrator
Pirate Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Mon 22 Mar 2010, 1:12 pm

Hmm I want some of those cows.
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Zuloo Mon 22 Mar 2010, 1:23 pm

Haha, I wanted to build a cattle station MOC after watching the (terrible) film Australia, and I was planning to purchase around 20 - 30 cows. However, upon seing the price of them I quickly decided otherwise. legolaugh
Captain Zuloo
Captain Zuloo
Pirate Administrator
Pirate Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by aZz Tue 23 Mar 2010, 1:44 am

Moooooooo
aZz
aZz
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by marvinblue Sat 10 Apr 2010, 3:49 am

I got 10197 and 7567 from TRU yesterday. I finally got a Fire Brigade!! Yay for me!! legoeyeshutlaughing
marvinblue
marvinblue
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Zuloo Sat 10 Apr 2010, 6:27 am

Fantastic! Be sure to review it. legohappy
Captain Zuloo
Captain Zuloo