Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brick wear and tear and storage.

3 posters

Go down

Brick wear and tear and storage. Empty Brick wear and tear and storage.

Post by guymontag Fri 12 Mar 2010, 6:06 am

Hi

I've noticed that the biggest contributor to brick wear and tear is rummaging. Especially bricks that belong to children. Many new studless plates get damaged quickly if they are left in a 50ltr plastic storage crate with other bricks. Trans windows are especially prone to wear and get a very dull finish if left in a general bucket.

Besides keeping a model together when new, what are other ways that we can use to reduce brick wear.

Here's a couple that I've thought of and now am putting into practice, please add more or elaborate as you see fit.

Sort bricks by colour and condition.
Its takes a very long time ,but I've sorted bricks by colour and now am starting to sort by condition. I see this as important especially when I start to make a serious moc for display rather than for kids playability. If I have enough of a certain brick I can further sort by type of brick within the same colour.
I put all wheels together, all trans together and try to be really careful how I handle them.

I use tackle tray boxes.
The type that you get from Bunnings for screws etc for all the studs, joiners, trans and especially studless plates(sorted by colour), minfig items/weapons. I've seen some beautiful mocs lately on the net and a lot of them have almost flawless plates with little or no scratches.

I keep the storage boxes small 15ltrs
I see rummage as the biggest cause of wear, so by keeping to a small box I rummage less and there is less collision of elements and less scratches. I don't use 50litre unless I have these huge elements.

I dump the box into a long under bed trundle box.
If I need to do some serious rummage for pieces I can throw an old sheet over a under bed roller box and dump the 15 litre box onto the sheet. That way I have more room to sort. When I'm done with that colour I can grab the sheet and tip it back.

Any other ideas ??

I haven't resorted to Michael Jackson white gloves to assemble lego yet. But it would help with finger prints and oil.
guymontag
guymontag
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Title : I need an avatar!
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Back to top Go down

Brick wear and tear and storage. Empty Re: Brick wear and tear and storage.

Post by Captain Havoc Sat 13 Mar 2010, 1:34 am

I had the same problem with rummaging, so I sorted my LEGO into piece type rather that colour. My biggest problem was with clear windows, they got so scratched that they became all foggy and awful, even in a smaller box. So now I have all my windows lain out on a flat tray, stored on a thin shelf. I might recommend doing this to all the easily-scratchable parts, but it might need a lot of space.
Captain Havoc
Captain Havoc
Pirate Master
Pirate Master

Title : The next master of the seas
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Zuloo Tue 16 Mar 2010, 6:30 am

My windows are all stuck together and in a zip lock bag, although I only thought of this after they had all been scratched...
All my minifig parts are sorted and in zip lock bags, as are a few other special parts (wheels etc.) but the bulk of my LEGO is stored within drawers, as seen in this photo:

Brick wear and tear and storage. 4333716694_a0af092155
Captain Zuloo
Captain Zuloo
Pirate Administrator
Pirate Administrator

Title : I say alot of things
Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2009-03-21

http://www.zulooweb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by guymontag Wed 17 Mar 2010, 6:18 am

Very tidy collection you got there. Cpt.

Good idea about a flat tray for trans pieces Cpt Havoc. I think I will implement this.

One of the most challenging things I'm facing personally is keeping it organised and staying organised. My kids just go mad and take bits and pieces for whatever they are doing and obviously never return them or look after them. Especially minifigs. Heads go missing, hats and hairs are all interchange on diffrent bodies, just usual stuff that kids do. I can't not let them play with it, they must think daddy has taken over our toys and doesn't share. Not good when I'm trying to encourage sharing between themselves. ..... Joys of parenthood.
guymontag
guymontag
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Title : I need an avatar!
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down