Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storage solutions

+18
Locomotive Annie
jigsaw
LEGO_JOJO
SpentMoreThan$2000onLEGO
juniorbrickie
TazManiac
AnitaE
dosker
phantom59
space collector
Free Spirit
Chaucey
Captain Havoc
guymontag
Paul B
peterab
BrickTango
ennjay
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Storage solutions Empty Storage solutions

Post by ennjay Wed 07 Jul 2010, 1:17 pm

So, the question which bothers every Lego collector at some point or another. I have part of my collection sorted into some containers purchased at Bunnings but they aren't really ideal for sorting out large amounts of bricks. Just wondering what people's preferred options and products are for sorting and storing their Lego?

Any specific suggestions with prices and retailers would be much appreciated.

Last edited by ennjay on Wed 07 Jul 2010, 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

ennjay
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-07-02

Back to top Go down

Storage solutions Empty Re: Storage solutions

Post by BrickTango Wed 07 Jul 2010, 1:51 pm

I was just about to post something very similar! Thank you for your post legohappy I've recently started to acquire lego after a long while, initially I sort into clear ziplock bags. I sort based on what I have, meaning some to colour and some to type depending of how much of what I have. When I return from my trip overseas on the 15th I'll be shopping for some storage containers, so any posts here will be very useful.

Cheers,
BrickTango
BrickTango
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Thu 08 Jul 2010, 5:02 pm

I have a few large containers with a bunch of ziplock bags of varying sizes. For more generic bricks I sort by type and colour, for example 1x red bricks, 2x red bricks, 45 degree red slopes etc. For smaller peices that I have a lot of I sort by type, ie all my headlight bricks, all my tiles, all my jumper plates. For the remaing stuff which I only have a few of they get sorted by colour so I end up with a bag of bit of each colour.
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul B Fri 09 Jul 2010, 12:42 am

I use some workshop storage bins which stack on top of each other, I can't find a photo to show you all so I will take one tonight when I get home and post it up.

Paul

Paul B
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-01-08

http://paulstechnic.blogspot.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul B Fri 09 Jul 2010, 2:09 am

This is what I am using now:

Storage solutions 9bf31c7ff062936a96d3c8bd1f8f2ff3-1

Paul B
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Back to top Go down

Post by guymontag Sun 11 Jul 2010, 1:06 pm

I've been using 15 litre starmaid storage containers, as well as Ikea $4 drawers. Previously I just sortted colours but due to the growing nature of Lego, I've been further sorting them by type. Zip lock bags make it easy to store in 1 container, but are a bit fiddly if your moc'ing and are forever looking for the right bag and need to unzip and re-zip.
The other alternative is using even smaller containers within the drawer or container. These smaller containers are things like yogurt pots, bottoms cut from plastic milk containers. I find a mix of both is advantageous. The only trouble I find with sorting is that it gets tedious and I need to break and do a bit of moc'ing.

guymontag
guymontag
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Title : I need an avatar!
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Havoc Mon 12 Jul 2010, 7:19 am

I have been using the same as Paul, as well as some sewing boxes and small tool boxes for smallish parts such as lights and cheese.
Captain Havoc
Captain Havoc
Pirate Master
Pirate Master

Title : The next master of the seas
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ennjay Tue 13 Jul 2010, 3:18 am

If anyone is interested, Jaycar sell a number of different products which might be suitable for sorting and storing . In particular, they sell ~30 drawer units with the clear plastic drawers for storing electrical components. You can check their stuff out by searching for "storage" on their website. Their prices seem to be very reasonable to me, particularly if you want to buy in bulk.

ennjay
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Registration date : 2010-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul B Tue 13 Jul 2010, 7:15 am

ennjay wrote:If anyone is interested, Jaycar sell a number of different products which might be suitable for sorting and storing . In particular, they sell ~30 drawer units with the clear plastic drawers for storing electrical components. You can check their stuff out by searching for "storage" on their website. Their prices seem to be very reasonable to me, particularly if you want to buy in bulk.

I have looked in to those 30 draw units but as you can't "lock" the draws in to position I worry about them falling out and spilling pieces every where

Paul legosad

Paul B
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Back to top Go down

Post by BrickTango Tue 03 Aug 2010, 6:41 am

I've got myself a few storage containers to sort my lego recently. Below is one of the storage containers I decide on. At $4 each they are not bad. Only time will tell how long they'll last!

Storage solutions IMG_1100
The orange dividers are removable!

Storage solutions IMG_1103

Storage solutions IMG_1106
Planning on printing some labels to stick on the orange bit to id what's inside.

Cheers,
BrickTango
BrickTango
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaucey Wed 04 Aug 2010, 12:38 am

Those boxes look great! I love that they are compartmentalised and stackable and that the lids are see-through. Great price too.
I wonder if there is something similar in NZ.

Chaucey
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Free Spirit Wed 18 Aug 2010, 3:42 am

Amazingly like BrickTango I have just bought myself two of the above Conpartment Organisers to use as display cases for my Minifigure Collector Series 1 & 2.

The double sided feature really makes it worthwhile for me so I will be grabbing a few more for my own collection as well as utilise at my Lego Market Stall to sell the smallish products I have in stock at the moment.
Free Spirit
Free Spirit
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2009-12-20

https://brickstacular.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by space collector Sun 27 Feb 2011, 2:59 pm

Lego used to make some great storage trays.

757, 758, and the 759 cabinet

I have some of these in a custom wood cabinet I made in Woodwork class...

I'll have to see if I have a pic of it..

space collector
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by phantom59 Sun 27 Feb 2011, 4:08 pm

For the S/W and Old Classic Space sets I use zip lock bags (with a couple of pin holes to let the air out) parts in one or two bags, minfigs in seperate bags (Glad snack) each set has their own bag or bags with the instructions or a picture of that set (I do not mix the S/W with other themes too many unique parts )

I have yet to work out a good way to store 10179-1: Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon

For the technic sort it out into dispoable heat and serve containers (cheep ones) from Woolwoths, I used to use my wife's tupperware until I relized that my wife was happer for me to use it (the old stuff) so she could replace it with new tupperware (Costly) legorolleyes

Phantom59

phantom59
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dosker Mon 16 May 2011, 12:48 pm

Hehe @ phantom 59, I like your wifes style. I secretly slip a tupperware container or two into the grocery shopping every time we do it (much to my partners dismay). I got some large storage tubs from Target which are bright coloured with see through panels. I also use tuperware containers to divide up my licensed Lego set pieces which are also stored in zip lock/click bags inside them. I have a separate storage container for my instruction manuals and i store my lego boxes flat packed. As the house i live in is shared the only personal space i have is under my desk or in my bedroom. My built sets are all up high on top of book shelves (which require frequent dusting) in the office.
dosker
dosker
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by AnitaE Thu 02 Jun 2011, 3:08 am

Bricktango... want to come over and sort my Lego :P

I bought a pile of those same containers yesterday as I have decided to sort by colour this time (It is currently sorted by type for small parts and by colour for bricks and plates).

I have started the torturous transition... this is going to take me forever. legolaugh

This is the start:

picture

This is all I have left to go...

another picture
AnitaE
AnitaE
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by TazManiac Thu 02 Jun 2011, 4:45 am

You have heaps of LEGO there Anita ! If it ever becomes too much for you, you know where to send it Storage solutions 285605
Oh the things I could build with a collection like that!!
TazManiac
TazManiac
Pirate Master
Pirate Master

Title : Expert Convict Brick layer
Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2010-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by AnitaE Thu 02 Jun 2011, 4:47 am

I think there is a point where it becomes more difficult. I was a much more prolific builder when I had less lego... now it is all sorting and searching.

And Taz, you build the most awesome things already...
AnitaE
AnitaE
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by BrickTango Thu 02 Jun 2011, 8:28 am

AnitaE wrote:Bricktango... want to come over and sort my Lego :P

As long as you come over and help me sort mine! legolaugh Though my haul is not as large as yours!
BrickTango
BrickTango
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by AnitaE Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:39 am

BrickTango wrote:
As long as you come over and help me sort mine! legolaugh Though my haul is not as large as yours!

legolaugh Darn, I thought it was worth a try. But the containers are a great buy, I am definitely getting more. (Normally I buy the clear Fischer ones)
AnitaE
AnitaE
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by juniorbrickie Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:48 am

Those boxes look great! Maybe i will have them too. They are really in order and and you dont have hard time looking for something.

juniorbrickie
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Storage solutions Empty WHERE DO U GET THEM FROM?

Post by SpentMoreThan$2000onLEGO Sat 20 Aug 2011, 6:50 am

BrickTango wrote:I've got myself a few storage containers to sort my lego recently. Below is one of the storage containers I decide on. At $4 each they are not bad. Only time will tell how long they'll last!

Storage solutions IMG_1100
The orange dividers are removable!

Storage solutions IMG_1103

Storage solutions IMG_1106
Planning on printing some labels to stick on the orange bit to id what's inside.

Cheers,

Where do you get the storage units ($4) from?

SpentMoreThan$2000onLEGO
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Registration date : 2011-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by AnitaE Sat 20 Aug 2011, 6:52 am

I got some from kmart and a style almost identical from bunnings (both were $4). (but my local Kmart doesn't sell them).
AnitaE
AnitaE
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Sep 2011, 1:08 pm

I just got 3 storage boxes from Mitre 10 Mega and I love them! They are 190x115x30mm each and I got 3 for 10 bucks! They have five sections in each one and the dividers are removable.

Back to top Go down

Post by LEGO_JOJO Sun 11 Nov 2012, 1:04 pm

How about un-opened set? how do you store them safe and make sure the box not getting damage while stacking up?? Thanks!!!

LEGO_JOJO
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next