Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Train?

+2
Lightningtiger
Ajax
6 posters

Go down

Best Train?  Empty Best Train?

Post by Ajax Tue 09 Oct 2012, 4:01 am

I am about to start my city layout soon and are yet to buy any train sets. My question for other members/Lego lovers is which train set/sets are the best and worth while buying? I would think i would need 2 trains as the layout is about 5m x 5m. I have done zero research on Lego trains and not even sure if they all run on the same type of tracks. Just noticed the thread on the new orange train, it looks pretty nice.

Ajax
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2012-10-08

Back to top Go down

Best Train?  Empty Re: Best Train?

Post by Lightningtiger Tue 09 Oct 2012, 4:48 am

Well it seems you want powered trains, 3677 is still available at Myers if you can find one.....though if you can score an Emerald Night and add PF to it. I have both the EN and also the Maersk train which is another AWESOME train but requires modification also to PF it.
Hope this helps you 'Ajax' and Brick On ! legohappy
Lightningtiger
Lightningtiger
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Title : Town MOC builder genius !
Number of posts : 1668
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SnapLock Tue 09 Oct 2012, 5:53 am

When i first got back into trains i bought LEGO CITY CARGO TRAIN 7939 its a great set ,with a good amount of track and extras like a gantry crane & Cargo truck.

I also agree with lightningtiger The Emerald Night & Maersk trains are great. However they come with no track so they are good as 'Add on' trains, To start with i would recommend LEGO CITY CARGO TRAIN 7939 if you want to go power functions with normal plastic track.
SnapLock
SnapLock
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2012-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by brickie Tue 09 Oct 2012, 6:18 am

Ajax,

Welcome to ANZFOL.

As the great 12V and 9V trains and track are hard to get [ and V E R Y expensive ], PF trains are the way to go.

They will work fine on a 5x5 layout but there will be some difficulties controlling them if they go behind large structures on the layout; especially if batteries are low.

With a 5x5 layout, you may need more trains.

Good luck with your project and make sure that you post photos.

A great tutorial

Tutorial: Deeplinking Images
by Captain Zuloo

may be found on FORUM page - WEBSITE - Forum Guidelines & Announcements
brickie
brickie
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaila Tue 09 Oct 2012, 7:21 am

Hmm sad to say Brickie is right (although I LOVE 12v trains and own almost all of them). I would personally go for 7939 cargo and look you can get it delivered for $220 from Ebay - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-LEGO-CITY-7939-Cargo-Train-Remote-Control-/270971578326?pt=AU_LEGO&hash=item3f172a27d6#ht_2524wt_967

Sure I know ebay is risky but I bought the same train off the same seller and it's in my room just fine and the box arrived in perfect condition.

Also that other (not quite as good IMO) 3677 cargo train is on sale at 20% off in Myer still. I saw it in Brisbane city. That would be $240 I think..

Best Train?  Legggg10
Kaila
Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Number of posts : 460
Registration date : 2012-07-07

http://www.giantess.ws

Back to top Go down

Post by Ajax Tue 09 Oct 2012, 8:01 am

Thanks guys, but I still have no idea how the trains actually work and the difference between them. What is PF mean? Do you use batteries?
I will go and do my own homework on them but any more help here is appreciated, Thanks.
If i was to get the cargo train mentioned above which passenger train will work on the same tracks?

Ajax
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Tue 09 Oct 2012, 9:29 am

Hi Ajax,

PF stands for Power Functions, which is the current range of motors, battery packs, infra-red remotes and receivers, which are used across all LEGO themes, notably Trains and Technic.

Earlier trains were 9V powered from the rails, or even earlier still 12V powered from a pair of central conductors. The current PF trains have plastic track. There were a couple of RC trains with different IR gear that were released between 9V and the current PF which used the same plastic track as PF.

If you get the 7939 cargo train you have two obvious choices of passenger train. 7938 was released in 2010 so may be hard to find in Australian shops, but maybe a little easier online. It comes with a loop of track and motors etc, just add batteries legosmile2
10233 is due for release in January, and since it is a LEGO exclusive it may never be available in the shops, though LEGO's online store will have it. It comes without any track or PF gear, but is a much more detailed train. You can add the PF gear at an additional cost.

There are another two cargo trains that should be reasonably available; the Red Cargo Train 3677 which is a complete set, and the Maersk container train 10219 which is another detailed exclusive without PF gear and track.

Finally there is the Emerald Night 10194. It is an exclusive steam passenger train released in 2009, which is no longer available from LEGO. It is a beautiful train but has a number of cons as well. It only comes with one passenger car and can be troublesome to motorise as it has a tendency to bind up without a few modifications. It may be difficult or expensive to get hold of since it is no longer sold by LEGO.

Hope this helps a bit.

peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ajax Wed 10 Oct 2012, 1:46 am

Thanks Peter that helps.

Ajax
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaila Wed 10 Oct 2012, 7:47 am

Yeah agreed with Peter and Maersk is a must-buy tbh. Even without the PF included this set is awesome and will only increase in value so dont throw away the box lol
Kaila
Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightningtiger Sun 14 Oct 2012, 12:21 am

I spied two 3677's at Myer TTP yesterday....while making a payment on my 3677 (dying to get it off layby legosad2 ).
I'll be using mine complete as a shunter for my Maersk and EN trains. legowink
Lightningtiger
Lightningtiger
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaila Sun 14 Oct 2012, 8:35 am

Have a look at this Ajax or anyone else interested in the Maersk - http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12066413&skuid=11141303

Now that TRU are delivering overseas you can get the Maersk for $148 delivered.. Thats a pretty good deal tbh and well worth looking into if your interested. There's an active thread on Whirlpool about Aussie's ordering from TRU (it just opened up for overseas orders to Australia) so perhaps they could shed more light.
Kaila
Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightningtiger Sun 14 Oct 2012, 1:29 pm

I got mine from Galaxy Toys on Goodwood Road....for around the 230 mark...they might still have some in stock. legowink (The Maersk train that is)
Lightningtiger
Lightningtiger
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down