Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012

+3
Red_Five
brickie
jigsaw
7 posters

Go down

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 Empty my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012

Post by jigsaw Sat 01 Dec 2012, 11:55 am

here is a teaser for you guys. i was there yesterday, and i took around 500 pics... review and pics will be here soon! legohappy

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLM
jigsaw
jigsaw
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 Empty Re: my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012

Post by brickie Sun 02 Dec 2012, 1:27 am

I am jealous. legephew

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your great adventure.

Now, if only I hadn't spent all my money on buying LEGO. legolaugh
brickie
brickie
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 Empty Re: my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012

Post by Red_Five Sun 02 Dec 2012, 1:47 am

Oh wow.
I'd love to see some pictures!
And i'd love to see what they have built. *<legotoungesmall
Red_Five
Red_Five
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2012-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jigsaw Sun 02 Dec 2012, 2:55 am

OK,

(i am going to space out the pics into other replies so i dont slow down the single reply)

just returned from my 10 day honeymoon, in which i was allowed to include a day trip to LL Malaysia. if you are in Singapore a day trip is do-able, but will take up the whole day. legohappy

1. Getting there.
we used WTS Travel, through our hotel to get us there from singapore. we departed at 8.15am from the singapore flyer, and it took 2.5hours to get there. it is not a great distance from Singapore, however you must realise that peak hour traffic, and 2 border crossings will slow you down a lot. we were sitting in a bus queue at the border checkpoint on the Malaysian side for 40mins. legoscared
my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 Legoland-location-map
2. Arrival
Upon arrival, you can see how new the place is. Most of the trees have been planted half grown, so there is not much shade there yet.. i reckon in 10yrs time it will be great for shade and trees. There is a lot of construction going on, the Lego Hotel is being built (2013), and the water park has not been started as yet (2014). the Main park is what we are here to see.

3. Miniland
My favourite part of the park. This one is excellent, and comparable to the European ones in regards to fantastic builds. probably the first asian style miniland, it has new features never seen in other LL parks around the world, including the tallest buildings ever built for a LL. the railway network is just a simple loop here, instead of a complex rail network that can be seen in billund, but some of the things here are the best i've ever seen.. the detail is incredible. i've never seen a monorail system in a miniland before this one!
my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML5
my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML32
my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML31
my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML30
my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML29
my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML28
more miniland pics after this reply......
4. rides
Lots of kids rides. trains, water rides, 2 roller coasters, and more. i didnt spend much time around them as i dont have kids.
there is also some building areas for kids, in the technics area.
my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 DSC02878
my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLtrainride
my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 DSC02884

5. shopping
my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLBigshop
they have stores all around the park, with a huge selection of lego merchandise and sets. i bought myself a Lego Coffee Mug and a Lego bath towel. there are 2 main shops at the entrance, the big shop and the the brick shop (PaB is here). The big shop is where you can buy most current lego sets available... they even had lots of polybags!
my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 DSC03176
my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 DSC03180

6. Cost
Ticket entry was around $40AUD, but if you go the tourbus direction it will cost ~$70AUD and that includes travel, tickets and RM 10 food vouchers (we used them for ice cream).

Food was not expensive per se compared to Australia, but expensive by local standards.

PaB is expensive, but i couldnt help myself and i bought about 2kg of PaB. it has improved since it opened and is decent. cost is RM35 per 100g (about $13AUD the day i was there).

the big shop is expensive. the Sets are not cheap, as the local distributor in Malaysia controls stock and prices. TLG do not undercut them at all. they have a good shop stock, but a lot of things were more expensive than Oz. if you want to buy Lego over there, buy it in Singapore, where it is roughly the same as here, although some things can be a little cheaper.

7. Overview

i had a blast here. it was worth the trip for me IMO. yes, the customs/immigration checkpoints are a PITA, but it is a necessary evil to get there. it's a new park, so i think it will mature over time. Sadly, im starting to see wear and tear already on the miniland due to the weather (but so does LL Billund with snow), so i hope they plan to maintain/replace parts of it as they need to.

as always, it's marketed for kids, but adults will have fun here as well. there is more kid focussed parts here, and less large scale sculptures than i have seen before, but due to the weather the water park will be a great addition in the future.

pack your hat, and your sunscreen.. it was 34 degrees and humid. i got toasted

i might add more photos over time... it took ages to add all these ones, and i dont want to spoil it all for you lego8O

Last edited by jigsaw on Sun 02 Dec 2012, 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
jigsaw
jigsaw
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by jigsaw Sun 02 Dec 2012, 2:58 am

more pics of miniland and more:

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML27

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML26

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML25

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML24

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML23

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML22

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML20

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML19
jigsaw
jigsaw
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by jigsaw Sun 02 Dec 2012, 3:00 am

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML18

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML17

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML16

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML15

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML14

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML13

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML12

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML11

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML10
jigsaw
jigsaw
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by jigsaw Sun 02 Dec 2012, 3:03 am

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML9

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML8

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML7

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML6

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML1

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML4

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML3

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML2

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLML0

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLeinstein

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLfountain

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLXmastree

jigsaw
jigsaw
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaila Sun 02 Dec 2012, 5:36 am

That real size train sure is impressive. Although when I look at it all I see is missed opportunity. Imagine if they had scaled up 7740 or even the Maersk? Instead they did some non-existant kiddy looking thing.. What a waste.

Sorry for being so over dramatic but it just kind of annoys me to see such wasted potential. legonothanks

my trip to Legoland Malaysia NOV 2012 LLtrainride
Kaila
Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Number of posts : 460
Registration date : 2012-07-07

http://www.giantess.ws

Back to top Go down

Post by jigsaw Sun 02 Dec 2012, 8:06 am

half the park is for little kids, and i think the train is aimed to be more duplo orientated for parents and younger kids.
jigsaw
jigsaw
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by brickie Sun 02 Dec 2012, 12:44 pm

The train reminded me of the Duplo circus train which my grandsons love.
brickie
brickie
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Red_Five Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:09 am

Wow. Truely amazing.
I'd love to know how many pieces are in the park. legoskulltransform

Jigsaw,
There is also a monorail at Legoland California. It's a representation of the Las Vegas Monorail.
Red_Five
Red_Five
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2012-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by BrickManLJ Wed 05 Dec 2012, 1:53 pm

Didn't know they had a Legoland in Malaysia until now. I guess that decreases Australia's chance of getting one. legosad Oh how I wish there was one down on the Gold Coast around where Dreamworld is.

Those photos certainly look impressive. I remember going to Legoland as a kid, I loved it. And yes, a lot of the non-Miniland displays (e.g. rides) are very much kid oriented, hence you'd expect to find more a duplo-like train. Also allows it to be simplistic in design as well.

BrickManLJ
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightningtiger Wed 05 Dec 2012, 2:05 pm

AWESOME shots 'jigsaw'......man, I would love to rebuild some of those city buildings in minifig scale......oh, I should give myself such ideas eh ? legolaugh
Lightningtiger
Lightningtiger
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Title : Town MOC builder genius !
Number of posts : 1668
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by jigsaw Thu 06 Dec 2012, 12:25 am

i reckon for just one of the 'islands' in miniland, at minifig scale it would still top 4-5 million bricks. then you would need to put it somewhere, and it would be bloody expensive to have it indoors
jigsaw
jigsaw
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Back to top Go down

Post by Locomotive Annie Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:09 am

Words absolutely fail me. With each picture the levels of amazing just kept on rising until my sense of wonder did a stack dump and had to be reset.

Thanks for sharing.

Locomotive Annie
Locomotive Annie
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down