Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wow it's nice to find this place :)

+2
Free Spirit
Kaila
6 posters

Go down

Wow it's nice to find this place :) Empty Wow it's nice to find this place :)

Post by Kaila Sat 07 Jul 2012, 9:49 am

Hello Kaila here and I recently started rekindling my enjoyment of Lego and in particular trains. Back in the 80's when I was a child my favorite toy was lego. I had mostly City, Space, Castle and Train of which they are all mixed up in a giant official Lego tartan bag/round playmat. I really like castle but was silly and took it to school to share with friends. In lunchtime somebody stole my whole bag of it >< It was many sets too unfortunately.

These were some of the castle sets I remember having - Wow it's nice to find this place :) 250px-10Wow it's nice to find this place :) 250px-13Wow it's nice to find this place :) 250px-14Wow it's nice to find this place :) 250px-15

I had many City sets but strangely only kept 2 of the boxes XD, these 2 I still have with the boxes being in great condition -
Wow it's nice to find this place :) 250px-11Wow it's nice to find this place :) 250px-12

Originally I really liked space lego and these were some of my sets from that genre (I still have these but without boxes) - Wow it's nice to find this place :) 250px-16Wow it's nice to find this place :) 250px-17Wow it's nice to find this place :) 250px-18Wow it's nice to find this place :) 250px-19

But my honest favorite was Train! After reading around for the last day about Lego I keep hearing that the 80's was the golden era of Lego train. Seeing the limited stuff available now I might agree. I remember a commercial on T.V about the Lego rail system and it sent me C R A Z Y. I still remember the jingle.. "Lego railway is the only way to go" (hope i got that right lol) I even taped the commercial just to watch the trains in it over and over to get ideas for building, unfortunately it's on betamax tapes >< of which the player died long ago, I do still have those tapes buried somewhere I think..

But yeah I got this train still -
Wow it's nice to find this place :) 250px-20
But also got that Transformer Kit and all the electric railing with the converter piece for the train. I hated that 12v transformer because it cost mum heaps but died after about a month and my train fun was completely spoiled.

So anyways I really like anime and I stumbled across the Exoforce range a few years ago. I bought so many of them lol, even the Sentai Fortress. Managed to pick up this Golden guardian guy on a trip to Japan, I'm glad I did now cause it seems hard to find this Exo stuff anymore. - Wow it's nice to find this place :) Unname10

So anyways it's good to meet everyone and yeah I'm thinking about buying some of the new train stuff. Sux how Australia is so expensive though. Also sux that I never seem to be able to find train lego in target, kmart or big w. Only really see it in Myer, DJ & mr toys @ premium prices. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong areas? In that recent sale at Myer I see this Train set here -Wow it's nice to find this place :) 110 for $220. It seems like a decent deal and there's a lot of track inside. I'm tempted to make my first train purchase in 25 years :<3: Will these rails connect to my original rails from that set I showed earlier? Also that Maersk train looked very tempting but no walk in stores seem to have the thing ;_; Was hoping to snap it up in these stocktake sales..

I'm sorry if this was a long intro post and thank you to anybody taking the time to read it.
Kaila
Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Number of posts : 460
Registration date : 2012-07-07

http://www.giantess.ws

Back to top Go down

Wow it's nice to find this place :) Empty Re: Wow it's nice to find this place :)

Post by Free Spirit Sat 07 Jul 2012, 10:47 am

Kaila21, I too grew up with LEGO in that same era legohappy

Sharing your memories with the wider LEGO community is a great way to find out more information which shall be a bonus when thinking about buying.

The Red Cargo Train above is battery operated and runs on different track to the new 9 volt and old 12 volt from the 1980's which answers one question you migh want to know !!!

Cheers Free Spirit

Free Spirit
Free Spirit
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2009-12-20

https://brickstacular.com/

Back to top Go down

Wow it's nice to find this place :) Empty Re: Wow it's nice to find this place :)

Post by Kaila Sat 07 Jul 2012, 11:43 am

Thanks for your welcoming reply and yes I will probably get it and maybe the train station too. Maybe throw in an extra track set since it's 20% off ^^ Guess I'll just dig out the old 7710 train set and run the tracks along side perhaps. Come to think of it, might be fun to get the instructions off the net and try to rebuild those old space sets then take a few photos for forum. That 6970 seems like an interesting one to rebuild.

I'm crazy about train stations and the yellow construction vehicles, not sure why >_<
Kaila
Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Back to top Go down

Post by brickie Sat 07 Jul 2012, 2:30 pm

Hello Kaila21

Welcome to ANZFOL; you have certainly been busy today. Keep it up as sometimes we go a bit quite.

I am pleased to hear that you still enjoy some of the old sets; they are great.

May I suggest that you darken the colour of your font as it is very hard to read the way it is; black is a great choice.
brickie
brickie
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaila Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:55 pm

brickie wrote:Hello Kaila21

Welcome to ANZFOL; you have certainly been busy today. Keep it up as sometimes we go a bit quite.

I am pleased to hear that you still enjoy some of the old sets; they are great.

May I suggest that you darken the colour of your font as it is very hard to read the way it is; black is a great choice.

Thanks for the welcome and yep no probs about the font, how about this one?
Kaila
Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Back to top Go down

Post by Xyver Mon 09 Jul 2012, 6:46 am

Welcome Kaila21,

I got back into Lego after the sales this time last year, with a couple of purchases. A year later, you don't want to know how much I've spent, so you may want to be careful legosmile2

Isee that you're in Brisbane, so make sure you check out BLTG, we're always happy to meet new people, and its not just about trains but everything Lego.
Xyver
Xyver
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-07-06

https://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l587/Xyver-1/

Back to top Go down

Post by Red_Five Mon 09 Jul 2012, 8:17 am

Kalia21, Welcome to ANZFOL.

It's great to see more people coming of their dark ages to enjoy LEGO.
Red_Five
Red_Five
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2012-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Fri 13 Jul 2012, 8:23 am

Hi Kaila,

Welcome along to ANZFOL. I can't see where you are from, but I'd second the recommendation to get involved in your local LEGO user group or train club if you have one. There are pretty active communities in Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane and Perth. There are newer ones just getting started in Adelaide and Tasmania. All except Perth have members on ANZFOL so you should be able to find somebody not too far away unless you're in a rural area.

It's nice to see another trainhead here. While your older track isn't directly compatible with the current track, you can connect it using a 1x2 plate modified with one stud (more commonly called jumper plates amoung AFOLs). I'm pretty sure there's a topic about it on Eurobricks. Obviously the 12V motor will have problems though.
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaila Fri 13 Jul 2012, 8:33 am

Modification joiners, cool and nice idea ^^. I really only had the full circular track that came with 7710 and bought the 12v kit with the transformer. Had a couple of points and a crosstrack also. Given that both my motor and 12v transformer died long ago I'm thinking to just run those old tracks alongside but separate to the new ones, kind of just for cosmetic value. In the last week I've almost tripled what I used to have track-wise since buying new kits lol.
Kaila
Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Fri 13 Jul 2012, 8:46 am

That's probably a good choice. I had a small oval of blue rails with a couple of points as a kid. For nostalgia reasons I bought a heap more when I got back into LEGO, but I pretty much only use my current RC track now.

I'm in the Melbourne train club, so I get to play with a huge layout each time we do a display, so I hardly ever even use my own track.
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaila Fri 12 Apr 2013, 2:09 pm

Kaila wrote:Modification joiners, cool and nice idea ^^. I really only had the full circular track that came with 7710 and bought the 12v kit with the transformer. Had a couple of points and a crosstrack also. Given that both my motor and 12v transformer died long ago I'm thinking to just run those old tracks alongside but separate to the new ones, kind of just for cosmetic value. In the last week I've almost tripled what I used to have track-wise since buying new kits lol.

Yes I'm quoting myself in my own intro thread haha legohappy Reason being that what I thought was broken actually wasn't. Think it was Brickies suggestion to give the rails a clean that triggered the light bulb.. turns out the transformer is pretty good after all. Just those pesky 12v conductors get dirty (you cant actually see the dirt though) and then they don't work right and your precious train stalls.

Brickie where were you when I was 7 and all upset that my train would no longer go around the track legosad2 legosad2 legosad2 Was there even any documentation from Lego on the box or instructions to warn about this? Admittedly I wouldn't have read it (still learning to read proper back then) but whether it was actually there or not is an interesting thought..
Kaila
Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Back to top Go down

Post by brickie Fri 12 Apr 2013, 2:44 pm

Kaila,

Cleaning the track constantly is the biggest downside to the potentially brilliant array of elements that made up the 12V train sets.
brickie
brickie
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Fri 12 Apr 2013, 4:48 pm

Kaila wrote:Was there even any documentation from Lego on the box or instructions to warn about this? Admittedly I wouldn't have read it (still learning to read proper back then) but whether it was actually there or not is an interesting thought..

I'm pretty sure I've seen cleaning instructions as part of track or 12V set instructions. I've never owned a new 12V train so I guess I must have seen them on the Peeron instruction scans at some point.
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by brickie Sat 13 Apr 2013, 1:42 am

Cleaning instructions were included at the back of most of the 12V building instructions.

These are from set 7740

Wow it's nice to find this place :) Img_1610

For those who don't speak 27 European languages fluently, I have translated it for you.

Wow it's nice to find this place :) Img_1611[url][/url]
brickie
brickie
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaila Tue 04 Jun 2013, 11:20 am

brickie wrote:Cleaning instructions were included at the back of most of the 12V building instructions.

These are from set 7740

Wow it's nice to find this place :) Img_1610

For those who don't speak 27 European languages fluently, I have translated it for you.

Wow it's nice to find this place :) Img_1611[url][/url]

You wont believe I only just noticed this post lol. Funny that just the other day I was flicking through the 7740 book and noticed that pic as well legohappy Where I went wrong is originally getting 7710 then a week or so later getting the motor, transformer and electric rails separately. (yeah I can't figure out why they just didn't buy 7740/7725 to begin with and save the hassle). Hence I had no cleaning instruction and wasn't bright enough to figure it out legephew
Kaila
Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down