Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning Lego bricks

+5
machine494
peterab
brickie
Free Spirit
dosker
9 posters

Go down

Cleaning Lego bricks Empty Cleaning Lego bricks

Post by dosker Fri 04 Nov 2011, 3:33 pm

Hi all,

Sorry if this thread has already been posted. I noticed recently that the Lego sets i have on display were quite dusty and so i painstakingly used hundreds of tooth picks with swabs of tissue attached to the end to get into all the nooks and cranny's before ultimately deciding to pack them away.
I recently discovered a brick cleaner on eBay and i was wondering if anyone had one or had tried it? (link below)
I also looked into the option of getting a custom perspex case made but for my Imperial Armada alone is was going to be something like $220-$250 and for now i think i'd rather use that money to buy more Lego.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280608093802&clk_rvr_id=280219871379&item=280608093802&lgeo=1&vectorid=229515#ht_20215wt_1398

So does anyone have one of these & how do you display your sets? (I only have high spaces such as on top of book shelves for mine so it's not really appropriate for me to house them in some kind of cabinet)

- Ali
dosker
dosker
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Back to top Go down

Cleaning Lego bricks Empty Re: Cleaning Lego bricks

Post by Free Spirit Sat 05 Nov 2011, 3:14 am

I personally would rather stick to my own method of cleaning my LEGO which basically is a cleaning brush from a shaver...works for me legohappy

As for displaying my sets I have a double garage which has been modified into a rumpus room that I have full of my LEGO from the past 37 years of my life.

The more expensive sets along with the Star Wars collection are housed in a wide range of display cabinets like you in see in the shops which keep most of dust off them making life for me easier for me therefore hopefully giving you an insight to how much I enjoy it legosunglasses
Free Spirit
Free Spirit
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2009-12-20

https://brickstacular.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by brickie Sat 05 Nov 2011, 8:40 am

dosker

The cleaning brush looks impressive but I think it would work out expensive; $50+ to get it here and then another $60+ of you need a voltage converter.

I think I'll stick with my toothbrush for dusting and a bucket of water with napisan for deep cleaning.
brickie
brickie
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by dosker Sat 05 Nov 2011, 5:31 pm

For the moment i do not have the luxury of my own home! Such if the life of a student. My partner is well aware of my future intention to dedicate a room in any future home we share to Lego! For now my sets will probably remain packed away.

p.s. Being a technology nerd i already many voltage converters. They're not as expensive as you'd think though.

- Ali
dosker
dosker
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Sun 06 Nov 2011, 6:12 am

I've used a paintbrush to dust LEGO fairly successfully. If you get one with soft bristles you wont risk scratching your bricks. If the dust has become moist at any point you are probably better to use water as brickie suggests. You can even wash LEGO in a washing machine, inside a zippable pillow case or laundry bag on gentle cycle, though the risk of scratches is greater.
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by dosker Sun 06 Nov 2011, 1:53 pm

I mainly wanted something to dust my constructed Lego sets without having to pull them apart. I will try a paint brush as you suggest...I have been eyeing up my partners badger hair shaving brush but i think I'd be in trouble if i used it to clean my Lego :D
dosker
dosker
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by machine494 Mon 26 Dec 2011, 2:15 pm

Hi I have just bought one of those, i find it great even after you buy the voltage converter, i think i got one for about $30 from leading edge. I hope this helps

machine494
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by mattman Tue 27 Dec 2011, 1:07 am

Jaycar and bunnings sell rotary tools for $20-25 including some basic cleaning parts, that would be all you need IMO. You can get the cleaning heads off ebay for $10 for half a dozen.

mattman
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2011-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Red_Five Tue 01 May 2012, 12:03 pm

Does anyone have a good method for cleaning LEGO cloth items? example, the cloth sail from 6057 ''Sea Serpent''?
Red_Five
Red_Five
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2012-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by BrickManLJ Wed 02 May 2012, 10:15 am

I just use a toothbrush and small paint brush. Both do the job quite effectively, the toothbrush has a tendency to scratch a bit, though. But it's not noticeable unless you're really looking for it.

BrickManLJ
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by brickie Wed 02 May 2012, 1:07 pm

Red_Five wrote:Does anyone have a good method for cleaning LEGO cloth items? example, the cloth sail from 6057 ''Sea Serpent''?

With the sails and the Indian teepees, I have found that handwashing in a mild detergent brings them up quite clean.

Then I use a warm iron to make them rigid again. I always put a handkerchief over the LEGO cloth and use the steam setting.

It brings them back to a good condition.

May I suggest that you try one sail first to see how it works.
brickie
brickie
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightningtiger Wed 02 May 2012, 3:30 pm

Toothpaste and a damp cloth/tissue works for me.....polish & clean away ! legowink
Lightningtiger
Lightningtiger
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Title : Town MOC builder genius !
Number of posts : 1668
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down