Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!


Cheers,


Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Ebay Auctions and Dummy bidders

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ebay Auctions and Dummy bidders

Post by Kaila on Tue 16 Apr 2013, 3:22 pm

Okay so I see a train I really want on Ebay, willing to go quite high to get it too. (Thanks Jigsaw for the tip)

But SERIOUSLY there were 13 bids like on the first day the train was listed and it was already over $200.. BS

Who bids right at the start of a 7 day auction? Are there really people THAT stupid in this world? Or is it simply dummy bidding at work.. I dunno but it irritates me enough to start a topic over it that's for sure. 3 days in and the train is @ over $300 with 26 bids.. Why would a bidder do that? I want the train too but of course I'm going to wait until the last 10 seconds and throw down a huge bid then. Honestly I'd have to be absolutely braindead to even consider doing it at the beginning or even midway.

Question is has anyone else come across this kind of nonsense? Or anyone know of examples of dummy bids etc? I knew someone who would sell fishing reels and he had friends who would dummy bid to smash up the prices. How about you guys?

Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Number of posts : 460
Location : Brisbane
Registration date : 2012-07-07

http://www.giantess.ws

Back to top Go down

Re: Ebay Auctions and Dummy bidders

Post by Paul B on Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:25 am

I always bid as soon as I see something to the maximum that I am prepared to pay and then I leave it, if it goes over my max then I walk away from it.

Paul B
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2010-01-08

http://paulstechnic.blogspot.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Re: Ebay Auctions and Dummy bidders

Post by jigsaw on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:44 am

... and there are the sellers who are not happy with the 'natural' bidding price, see it as too low, and then have a second account that will outbid any competition to save themselves from selling a bargain. i have seen some items magically appearing over and over again.

jigsaw
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 239
Location : Adelaide
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Ebay Auctions and Dummy bidders

Post by PrincessLime on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 2:46 pm

jigsaw wrote:... and there are the sellers who are not happy with the 'natural' bidding price, see it as too low, and then have a second account that will outbid any competition to save themselves from selling a bargain. i have seen some items magically appearing over and over again.
i know someone who does this, she thinks its funny and brags it works easy. i dont think its fair. dont worry kaila u just have to outsmart them! hugs!

PrincessLime
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2013-04-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ebay Auctions and Dummy bidders

Post by Kaila on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 8:12 am

PrincessLime wrote:
jigsaw wrote:... and there are the sellers who are not happy with the 'natural' bidding price, see it as too low, and then have a second account that will outbid any competition to save themselves from selling a bargain. i have seen some items magically appearing over and over again.
i know someone who does this, she thinks its funny and brags it works easy. i dont think its fair. dont worry kaila u just have to outsmart them! hugs!

Aww thanks Lime and don't fret since I just won the auction legowink Turned out to be a major anti climax (which is good for me), I was prepared to pay almost double the amount I actually got it for but it seemed all the other bidders were asleep or something so my bid in the final few seconds worked just fine.

Kudos to Jigsaw for the tip on this auction legohappy

Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Number of posts : 460
Location : Brisbane
Registration date : 2012-07-07

http://www.giantess.ws

Back to top Go down

Re: Ebay Auctions and Dummy bidders

Post by Locomotive Annie on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 9:50 am

Paul B wrote:I always bid as soon as I see something to the maximum that I am prepared to pay and then I leave it, if it goes over my max then I walk away from it.

I do this too, but then I'm usually biding on commonplace items and not rare or uncommon sets.

Dummy bidders and vendors using a second account to give themselves an out clause on a sale are abusing the auction process in my book and if i think somebody on ebay is pulling these sort of tricks I never give any of their auction a look over ever again.

What does annoy me though is vendors who describe anything they're selling as being 'rare' when it's nothing of the sort and is if anything completely ordinary and commonplace.

Oh and congrats on winning the auction Kaila

Locomotive Annie
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 285
Location : New Zealand
Registration date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Ebay Auctions and Dummy bidders

Post by timmyc1983 on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 11:42 am

Locomotive Annie wrote:
What does annoy me though is vendors who describe anything they're selling as being 'rare' when it's nothing of the sort and is if anything completely ordinary and commonplace.

This doesn't annoy me as much as the dummy bidding. At least if they say 'rare' and you know it isn't (cos you've done your research) you can scoff at them and move on to something more interesting legolaugh

Maybe one day we'll have a retina scanner on all our computers, and if someone tries to have two accounts with the one ball they'll get in some sort of trouble..... legolaugh

timmyc1983
Jackaroo
Jackaroo

Number of posts : 339
Location : Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2013-01-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Ebay Auctions and Dummy bidders

Post by Kaila on Sat 20 Apr 2013, 12:22 pm

timmyc1983 wrote:
Locomotive Annie wrote:
What does annoy me though is vendors who describe anything they're selling as being 'rare' when it's nothing of the sort and is if anything completely ordinary and commonplace.

This doesn't annoy me as much as the dummy bidding. At least if they say 'rare' and you know it isn't (cos you've done your research) you can scoff at them and move on to something more interesting legolaugh

Maybe one day we'll have a retina scanner on all our computers, and if someone tries to have two accounts with the one ball they'll get in some sort of trouble..... legolaugh
Great idea on the scanner legohappy I hate the 'rare' thing too! But even more so another pet peeve of mine is people who describe sets as 'perfect/complete' but guess what.. it's missing a plastic tray/lid/cover/instructions or the box itself.

So okay I know there's two camps on this debate but understand on this occasion I'm only speaking from a collectors point of view when I say I find it very annoying. If the seller includes a full set of pics to go along with the ad then it's forgivable but most don't - especially on BL - I mean how hard is it to put a link to brickshelf/flickr images of the set?

Whilst I was still using BL I had to send off tons of emails to every seller asking if the trays etc were included and could I see pics, such a pain. Barely bother with BL these days since you find nothing special that isn't horribly overpriced (there's your cue 'Brasletty' and 'Coincoinbrick', take a bow) OR guaranteed it's in rubbish condition with a torn up box or missing trays. Ebay is where the gems can still be found with regular everyday people digging Lego out of their attics or wherever and simply putting it up for auction.

Before anyone goes getting upset at my strong-ish comments please keep in mind I'm only referring to OLD Lego sets. For anything recent of course Ebay is a rip-off and BL is better. Also keep in mind it's just my own opinion and i'm not God so my methodology/thoughts certainly aren't infallible!

Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Number of posts : 460
Location : Brisbane
Registration date : 2012-07-07

http://www.giantess.ws

Back to top Go down

Re: Ebay Auctions and Dummy bidders

Post by PrincessLime on Sun 21 Apr 2013, 2:11 pm

ive noticed some pretty nice sets coming and going on ebay recently too but yeah for new stuff it seems pretty dear. sometimes the myer sale is a good option, maybe it's coming soon

PrincessLime
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2013-04-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ebay Auctions and Dummy bidders

Post by timmyc1983 on Tue 23 Apr 2013, 8:04 am

Yeah i've found some good deals on ebay, once again for older stuff; i got a bunch of old road plates for my current layout (the old grey ones, classic town legohappy ) pretty cheap, and someone was selling them in lots of 5 so i bought 2 or 3 lots legolaugh

And same with train tracks, but then yeah i agree, the new sets tend to be sometimes twice what you can get them at BL for... I don't who buys them at that price??

timmyc1983
Jackaroo
Jackaroo

Number of posts : 339
Location : Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2013-01-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Ebay Auctions and Dummy bidders

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:51 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum