Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Review - 6754 Family Home

+3
Keetong
Darth Legois
marvinblue
7 posters

Go down

Review - 6754 Family Home Empty Review - 6754 Family Home

Post by marvinblue Tue 11 Aug 2009, 3:18 am

Welcome to the next installment of my reviews, the Family Home. I bought this to be another addition for my City. It was purchased from K-Mart at the regular price. It took about four hours to build the house on the front of the box. Most of that, however, was taken up looking for little bits in the parts pile! I think if everything was laid out, it probably wouldn't take that long.

Name: Family Home
Theme: Creator
Year: 2009
Pieces: 976
Minifigs: 0
Price: AUD $124.99

The front of the box:
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010510

The back of the box:
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010511

All 976 pieces of Lego goodness..
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010410

The instructions. The main house has two books.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010411

Some rare pieces that at least I don't have. A golden bird bath / bowl, some new shutters and some tiles with an interesting dark sand type colour.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010412

Staying with the rare part colours are the sky blue tiles and plates for the pond.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010413

The pond and duck completed.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010414

The bottom floor complete. This is all contained in the first book and takes about two hours.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010415

Another shot.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010416

And another! :legoeyeshutlaughing:
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010512

The roof completed. I liked how it split down the middle, that way you could leave one half on and still play with it. This took at least an hour and a half, maybe longer, to put together.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010513

The completed set.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010514

Another shot.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010515

The leftover parts.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010516

I wasn't really turned on by this house. So, I decided that I would build one of the alternate buildings. My daughter insisted I build the villa, so that's what I did. Here's the ground floor, it took about two hours to build, mainly chasing those small parts again.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010517

Another shot.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010518

And another!! legotounge
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010519

The villa complete. The roof section only took half an hour to put together.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010520

Another shot.
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010521

Yet another!!
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010522

After a lazy morning on her sun bed, Esmirelda decides to take a dip in the spa....
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010523

So there you have it. Georgetown now has a Day Spa to pamper all the pretty ladies, as well as the city's Metros. This will give an added boost to Georgetown's economy!!

The parts left over. You could definately do something with these!!
Review - 6754 Family Home P1010524

Overall, I don't mind this set. I was easy enough to assemble both buildings, although I think my favourite would be the bungalow, the one that I haven't built yet! Any of the three buildings would make a welcome addition to your City layout. It is a shame that you don't get some sort of furniture included, but that's normal for a Creator building.

This set is reccommended, but IMHO I would wait until it came on sale, unless you wanted a heap of tan bricks and windows.
marvinblue
marvinblue
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down

Review - 6754 Family Home Empty Re: Review - 6754 Family Home

Post by Darth Legois Tue 11 Aug 2009, 4:06 am

Great review! legosunglasses

Those are "Dark Tan" tiles I think? I dont think theres Dark Sand Tan Tiles. legotoungesmall:

I think my favourite is the main house on the box. legoeyesheart

I might get 2 of these, One for parts.
Darth Legois
Darth Legois
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Title : That's what she said
Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2009-02-05

https://aussielegofans.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by marvinblue Tue 11 Aug 2009, 4:59 am

Thanks! Yeah, that colour is a little hard to describe. In different light it looks almost a very dull, unshiny gold. Dark tan sounds pretty good though!!
marvinblue
marvinblue
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Keetong Tue 11 Aug 2009, 8:18 am

Great review you've insured to me that its a great buy.

Darth Legois wrote:Great review! legosunglasses I might get 2 of these, One for parts.
Really, for $130?
Keetong
Keetong
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Title : Yay I got a title. Given by myself
Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Legois Tue 11 Aug 2009, 2:36 pm

Keetong wrote:Great review you've insured to me that its a great buy.

Darth Legois wrote:Great review! legosunglasses I might get 2 of these, One for parts.
Really, for $130?
On sale of course, Also I'm trying to get a job.
Darth Legois
Darth Legois
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Title : That's what she said
Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2009-02-05

https://aussielegofans.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ISC Wed 12 Aug 2009, 12:09 am

A great review of a set I was very interested in. However 4954 was a much better price to parts ratio than this. I mean its only $60 US vs $130 Aus, what a rip.

Great photos and structure Marvin.
ISC
ISC
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Title : Screambob Clonepants
Review - 6754 Family Home Moc_master3
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Wed 12 Aug 2009, 8:37 am

They were available at Target for $108 at the latest sale, but I agree with ISC, with such a big price difference getting them via bricklink seems far more attractive than buying them in Oz. It's also 130 NZD so I think this is a case of charging as much as they can get away with in a particular market.

Clearly we Australians need to push back against the higher priced kits more. I was a bit undecided about this set (I have two 4954) so I might let it pass unless I can get it really cheap legosmile2
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Optimus Dragon Wed 12 Aug 2009, 5:42 pm

Hey thak you for the review it is pushing me to look for it, I like it, but economy above all, sale price... that's an interesting option
Optimus Dragon
Optimus Dragon
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2009-06-01

http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/19135

Back to top Go down

Post by marvinblue Thu 13 Aug 2009, 3:24 am

peterab wrote:They were available at Target for $108 at the latest sale, but I agree with ISC, with such a big price difference getting them via bricklink seems far more attractive than buying them in Oz. It's also 130 NZD so I think this is a case of charging as much as they can get away with in a particular market.

Clearly we Australians need to push back against the higher priced kits more. I was a bit undecided about this set (I have two 4954) so I might let it pass unless I can get it really cheap legosmile2
I'm hearing you, but if we don't buy an item at a particular price, then TLC might see it as a dead market and not release similar sets in the future. I didn't really like the price either, but if you want it, then you just have to suck it up and pay for it, unfortunatley, unless you get it on sale! legohappy: That's usually how I shop. If I knew it was at Target, then I would've bought it there. legosad: Oh well!!! I'll have to keep better watch on this forum!! :legoeyeshutlaughing:

I think TLC should survey different regions of the world to see what people think of their pricing structure, relevant to that area.
marvinblue
marvinblue
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ISC Fri 14 Aug 2009, 1:27 am

peterab wrote:They were available at Target for $108 at the latest sale, but I agree with ISC, with such a big price difference getting them via bricklink seems far more attractive than buying them in Oz. It's also 130 NZD so I think this is a case of charging as much as they can get away with in a particular market.

Bricklink is a pretty good idea or eBay too. I think 4954 offers more usable parts for MOCs too. I mean all those tiles and headlights were fantastic for my Falcon tower. Shame I sold the second one, but it meant I only paid $45 for the one I own legotoungesmall:

Optimus Dragon wrote:Hey thak you for the review it is pushing me to look for it, I like it, but economy above all, sale price... that's an interesting option

Sales will save so much. I took a look at what I wanted in the August releases and would stand to save at least $100 by picking most sets up at a 20% off sale. Its a shame they have made Endor an exclusive to Toyworld though and at 200 retail (Toyworld were trying for 230-250, and then marking it down) legoscared
ISC
ISC
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Title : Screambob Clonepants
Review - 6754 Family Home Moc_master3
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Optimus Dragon Fri 14 Aug 2009, 3:56 am

I agree ISC...
Optimus Dragon
Optimus Dragon
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2009-06-01

http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/19135

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Sun 16 Aug 2009, 2:13 pm

marvinblue wrote:I'm hearing you, but if we don't buy an item at a particular price, then TLC might see it as a dead market and not release similar sets in the future. I didn't really like the price either, but if you want it, then you just have to suck it up and pay for it, unfortunatley, unless you get it on sale!

I think TLC should survey different regions of the world to see what people think of their pricing structure, relevant to that area.

I think the longer we suck it up, the longer we will be paying such high prices compared to the US. Besides at almost double the price I won't buy it here anyway, so if it wasnt available it wouldn't make any difference to me.

ISC wrote:Bricklink is a pretty good idea or eBay too. I think 4954 offers more usable parts for MOCs too. I mean all those tiles and headlights were fantastic for my Falcon tower. Shame I sold the second one, but it meant I only paid $45 for the one I own legotoungesmall:

Sales will save so much. I took a look at what I wanted in the August releases and would stand to save at least $100 by picking most sets up at a 20% off sale. Its a shame they have made Endor an exclusive to Toyworld though and at 200 retail (Toyworld were trying for 230-250, and then marking it down) legoscared

I paid $80 each for my two 4954s, and I think they were worth it. I'm not sure what they cost in the US though, I got mine at about 20% at TRU.

One of the guys from MUGS looked at buying a couple of the endor sets from the states. If you only wanted the parts, the figs individually cost more than the set MISB on bricklink. It has some nice light bley slopes, and a lot of dark green plates, so buying the set and selling the figs on BL might be worthwhile. I've thought about it. The figs might have come down in price a bit since then though.
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Swashbuckler Petrie Sun 30 Aug 2009, 12:26 pm

I like this set but i still think lego police is better
Swashbuckler Petrie