Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cutting pieces - is it still "Pure" LEGO?

+3
brickie
Ajax
Paul B
7 posters

Go down

Cutting pieces - is it still "Pure" LEGO? Empty Cutting pieces - is it still "Pure" LEGO?

Post by Paul B Sat 07 Sep 2013, 10:16 am

Today while I was doing a mod to an official LEGO set (Adding PF drive and steering to 8110) I needed a 4.5L axle, now I don't have any of these and I don't even know if they exist so I got a 5L axle and cut it to the right length. Is using modified pieces still considered "pure" LEGO or is that heading in the direction of custom pieces?

Paul

Paul B
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2010-01-08

http://paulstechnic.blogspot.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Cutting pieces - is it still "Pure" LEGO? Empty Re: Cutting pieces - is it still "Pure" LEGO?

Post by Ajax Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:50 am

If you do it don't tell anyone, lol.

Ajax
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2012-10-08

Back to top Go down

Cutting pieces - is it still "Pure" LEGO? Empty Re: Cutting pieces - is it still "Pure" LEGO?

Post by Paul B Mon 09 Sep 2013, 8:16 am

Ajax wrote:If you do it don't tell anyone, lol.
Well where I have done it is deep inside my Unimog U400 so nobody would ever know legowink

Paul B
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Back to top Go down

Post by brickie Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:09 pm

Paul,

This post is erased from my memory.

You are not the first to do this.

Any AFOL who decries this can be spotted with a long wooden nose.
brickie
brickie
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul B Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:37 am

brickie wrote:Paul,

This post is erased from my memory.

You are not the first to do this.

Any AFOL who decries this can be spotted with a long wooden nose.
I am glad to hear I am not the first to do this legohappy

Paul B
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:59 am

I maintain total purity and don't cut LEGO. Unless of course LEGO themselves cut elements in custom sizes, such as flex tube and baseplates legohappy legohappy legohappy lego8O lego8O lego8O.

Seriously, it all depends on what your aims for your hobby are. If you like the challenge of building only with pieces as originally made by LEGO cutting is probably not OK, if you're more concerned with the functionality or looks of the finished model then maybe you'll feel fine cutting parts to achieve your aim. In the end it's your choice.
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ajax Wed 18 Sep 2013, 8:13 am

I painted black zebra stripes on a white horse to make it a zebra but I couldn't bare to add it to my zoo, It looked good but I was afraid I would have been ridiculed had I posted pictures of it.

Ajax
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2012-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightningtiger Wed 18 Sep 2013, 9:42 am

Painting isn't the same as cutting up Lego.....except string or plastic tubing.
I painted my SAR 501 a more true to SAR red.....the only time I've done that.
Lightningtiger
Lightningtiger
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Title : Town MOC builder genius !
Number of posts : 1668
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottHodges Fri 29 Nov 2013, 6:29 am

I can remember modifying railway wheels to take technic axles, 25 or so years ago, long before the new official lego wheels, and before the custom moulded wheels were available. Almost broke my heart to melt bend file glue warp the pieces. I think as long as you have not make it obvious, and hopefully used older, worn pieces, rather than brand new, most lego fans will accept the modification. After all, lego is for creating whatever you can imagine, "A new toy every day" , as the old slogan went

ScottHodges
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Bodville Thu 10 Apr 2014, 9:34 am

I've modified bricks before to finish a build rather than source the correct pieces. If it's unseen it doesn't matter in my mind.

I also cut them as a lesson to the others. I can still hear them screaming.
Bodville
Bodville
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Title : Title hater
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-07-08

http://home.netspeed.com.au/mephisto/bodville/default.html

Back to top Go down

Post by brickie Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:03 am

Bodville wrote:I've modified bricks before;....... I can still hear them screaming.

I had actual 'tears' in my eyes as I drilled a hole in the groin of a Harry Potter minifig to insert a broomstick so that he could fly/hang from the fan.
It certainly wiped the grin from harry's face. legolaugh
brickie
brickie
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightningtiger Thu 10 Apr 2014, 3:55 pm

brickie wrote:
Bodville wrote:I've modified bricks before;....... I can still hear them screaming.

I had actual 'tears' in my eyes as I drilled a hole in the groin of a Harry Potter minifig to insert a broomstick so that he could fly/hang from the fan.
It certainly wiped the grin from harry's face. legolaugh

Oh, you cruel so and so........poor Harry......he'll have to use a spell now eh ? LOL
Lightningtiger
Lightningtiger
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Title : Town MOC builder genius !
Number of posts : 1668
Registration date : 2009-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down