Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery Boxes

4 posters

Go down

Battery Boxes Empty Battery Boxes

Post by Futuresportz Thu 27 Dec 2012, 12:01 pm

Hi all,
Any tips on where to get a couple of 8878 rechargeable battery boxes plus a charger? Thanks.
Futuresportz
Futuresportz
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-10-09

Back to top Go down

Battery Boxes Empty Re: Battery Boxes

Post by Red_Five Thu 27 Dec 2012, 1:26 pm

Hi there,

You buy them from Lego Shop@home for $99.99, although they are cheaper on Bricklink.com.
Check it out: http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?q=%208878
Red_Five
Red_Five
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2012-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by brickie Tue 01 Jan 2013, 9:21 am

The charger [ transformer] part is the tricky bit.

If you buy from an American BL store, then the charger will be for 110V so you will have to buy a voltage converter to make it 240V.

They don't make [ I think ] a charger with an Australian plug but a European plug will work with a travel adaptor

The batteries are great as you can set the speed.
brickie
brickie
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Number of posts : 565
Registration date : 2011-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Thu 10 Jan 2013, 8:31 am

Don't bother buying a LEGO charger. The rechargeable batteries have built in over voltage and current limiting protection, so you can use any 12V charger with a plug that fits. They are much cheaper than the LEGO 10V charger too. There were tests published in a topic on Eurobricks that suggested the protection circuit worked at anything up to about 18V but the battery could be harmed beyond that.

The only thing you need to be careful of is the polarity of the plug. There are 12V transformers available which have a selection of different sized plug adaptors that can be reversed so you can reverse the polarity. That's what I use. They are available from electronics shops like Jacar and Dick Smiths. If you get the polarity wrong the protection circuit of the battery kicks in so you wont harm it, but it won't charge either. You probably don't need anything more than a 12V 150mA transformer (normally printed on the case) as from memory the maximum current draw while charging was about 100mA, any thing from 80 - 150 mA would be OK, just the lower end will mean longer charging times, anything at or above 100mA will charge in much the same time.

I'd buy the battery from whichever Bricklink store has them cheapest when you factor in shipping. I bought a couple from a US bricklink store.
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Thu 10 Jan 2013, 8:46 am

brickie wrote:
They don't make [ I think ] a charger with an Australian plug but a European plug will work with a travel adaptor

I'm not quite sure on this since I found a better and cheaper solution, but initially if you ordered a charger from the Australian LEGO web shop, they shipped European plugs. They also initially shipped European plugs when Australian retailers ordered them through LEGO Australia (according to Brad from Bricks to the World a couple of years ago). They may have started producing an Australian plug version since then but I've never seen one, and I've displayed with at least half of the LEGO trainheads on the east coast over the last few years. (Note to self, must plan trip to Brisbane legosmile2
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down