Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prices of LEGO in Australia

+3
peterab
Xyver
eliteaus
7 posters

Go down

Prices of LEGO in Australia Empty Prices of LEGO in Australia

Post by eliteaus Sun 11 Sep 2011, 11:54 am

Hey everyone!
I thought I would make this forum post to ask some questions and get feedback about prices. I am still so confused why LEGO is so expensive in Australia. Around 3 years ago, the exchange rate was 1.00 Australian Currency for 1.50 American Currency, yet prices are still the same, even though we have a better exchange rate.... anyone else mad at these prices and how they still are....

Also for some questions:
Q- Has anyone heard or know if a LEGO store will be opening in Australia?

Q- Do you think the prices will ever be the same for LEGO between the USA and Australia?

Any answers or feedback would be great!

eliteaus
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-09-11

Back to top Go down

Prices of LEGO in Australia Empty Re: Prices of LEGO in Australia

Post by Xyver Mon 12 Sep 2011, 3:07 am

Although I agree its a pain having prices so high considering the exchange rates, that's only a small portion of what makes up the RRP of any product. They aren't going to move any time soon, especially considering the current economic climate and how many businesses are struggling. The shops still have to pay rent and wages, that's were most of the cost of a product goes.

As has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, LEGO also set their RRP based on what they think people are willing to pay. So on that logic, the only way to reduce the price is to not buy any. But then the shops won't bother to stock it and we will have an even smaller available range than we do now.

Until then, just have to wait for the 20% off sales to get a decent bargain.
Xyver
Xyver
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2011-07-06

https://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l587/Xyver-1/

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Mon 12 Sep 2011, 8:30 am

Hi eliteaus,

I've been disappointed with the price of Lego in Australia for some time, and when I've had the chance I've asked informed sources about it. I've been told that the wholesale price of sets is pretty much the same all over the world, adjusted a bit from market to market due to local taxes etc. The big differences in the retail prices tend to be due to the local retailers (Lego negotiate the RRP with their major retailers in each region). The retail price will be based on what the retailers think they can sell it for. It's pretty rare here in Melbourne for Lego to go unsold so I guess most customers are reasonably happy with the price.

The exception to the rule about wholesale prices being the same around the world are certain markets which Lego see as important for their future growth. In those cases the price might be lower to encourage sales. Lego has stated that they see the US market as important for future sales growth, and from the US prices it appears they are keeping US wholesale prices below the rest of the world.

To answer your question, I think it is likely that the US prices will rise to be closer to Australian and European prices if Lego sales reach the targets Lego would like.

There has been some strong rumors (impeccable source which I won't reveal) that a Lego Store will be opening in Sydney. I think the expected date was 2012 or 2013, due to the backlog of stores already planned in the rest of the world.
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by space collector Mon 13 Feb 2012, 2:45 am

I contacted Lego regarding the cost of a deathstar set for my son, it is several hundred dollars cheaper on their US site, evebn after the shipping cost it worked out something like $180 cheaper Landed at my door!

Lego got back to me, and basically said suck it up! (they did not actually say that, but that is what the email implied, so I was told if I wanted to, I should buy from the US or Ebay!

That shocked me legohappy

space collector
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by marvinblue Tue 14 Feb 2012, 1:25 pm

I basically only buy on sale these days, as I think the asking price is starting to creep up again. For instance, the Ambulance and Tip Truck. Both at $28.50 at most places, $29.99 at S@H. I think the Ambulance is better value, although the Tip Truck has more pieces. I would like to see these vehicles at $25, I think that its a more realistic price for the size of the set.

Last edited by marvinblue on Tue 14 Feb 2012, 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!)
marvinblue
marvinblue
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasen Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:32 pm

There are so many sales happening these days it's just a matter of patience before you get them 20% or more if you're lucky - off.

I bought all the 2012 City stuff at retail but i needed it for animation and couldn't wait for a sale (which friggin turned out to be 2 weeks later)(scumbags haha)

www.ORTCo.com.au is pretty good legohappy

Jasen
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by bradcoll Tue 20 Mar 2012, 3:36 pm

We are having a LEGO clearance over the next week or so (while stocks last) our normally low prices have been slashed even further.

In fact if you find some lego you want on our site, if it isnt already marked down, let us know and we will drop the price immediately for you.
bradcoll
bradcoll
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-01-11

http://www.cobratoys.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down