Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!

Cheers,

Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mum from Wellington starting with Lego

5 posters

Go down

mum from Wellington starting with Lego Empty mum from Wellington starting with Lego

Post by Chaucey Tue 27 Jul 2010, 11:51 am

Officially the Lego is for my 3 1/2 year old son - but I'm finding that I'm pretty keen on it all myself. I think an obsession may have begun! :<3: Hopefully I'll be able to get my husband interested in the Lego too so I don't feel bad about spending up big on the stuff.

I used to play Lego's with my brother when I was a kid (in the 80's). He had lots of Lego. I particularly remember him getting a fire station set from duty free. And I know we had a bit of Fabuland too.

So, the range in the shops right now doesn't seem all that appealing (maybe I don't *get* lots of the stuff because I'm not a bloke). I enjoy building anything though. We've only got a few sets from the shops, one order via bricklink, and some small trademe stuff on its way.

I'll go and check out the posts in other threads to see what tips you guys might have about keeping this an affordable hobby.

Chaucey
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-07-27

Back to top Go down

mum from Wellington starting with Lego Empty Re: mum from Wellington starting with Lego

Post by Hemish Tue 27 Jul 2010, 1:50 pm

Welcome aboard
Get into some of the bigger sets, they appeal to pretty much everyone, you just have to be able to justify the spend as they arent cheap
Good luck getting the husband involved too, get some car or train sets and the guys are usually hooked legohappy

Hemish
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

mum from Wellington starting with Lego Empty Re: mum from Wellington starting with Lego

Post by Captain Zuloo Wed 28 Jul 2010, 2:16 pm

Welcome to ANZFOL! Great to see some more NZ members popping up. LEGO is a brilliant hobby to be in to, and there is a strong online community - you're in the right place!

If you ever need any assistance, don't be afraid to yell out. legowink
Captain Zuloo
Captain Zuloo
Pirate Administrator
Pirate Administrator

Title : I say alot of things
Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2009-03-21

http://www.zulooweb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by marvinblue Wed 28 Jul 2010, 3:10 pm

Welcome along!! Good to see someone else buying for their kds!!! TIC! legoeyeshutlaughing
marvinblue
marvinblue
Kelly Gang Member
Kelly Gang Member

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaucey Wed 28 Jul 2010, 10:34 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys legosmile2

My new problem is how to stand waiting for christmas/kids birthdays in January to open some of the stuff. I shall have to start inventing present worthy occasions!

I guess 2nd hand stuff is fair game for playing with straight away though. I am kicking myself for the time last year I turned down buying a thick handful of lego road baseplates at a garage sale when I didn't have $20 on me. legosad

Chaucey
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by peterab Thu 29 Jul 2010, 5:39 am

Chaucey wrote:So, the range in the shops right now doesn't seem all that appealing (maybe I don't *get* lots of the stuff because I'm not a bloke). I enjoy building anything though. We've only got a few sets from the shops, one order via bricklink, and some small trademe stuff on its way.

I'll go and check out the posts in other threads to see what tips you guys might have about keeping this an affordable hobby.

A lot of the range in the shops doesn't appeal to many Adult lego fans, but you can always build your own, also don't dismiss entire themes as often there are gems amoung the dross. I build mostly towards my train layout, so the town stuff is most interesting, but Indiana Jones had some good vehicles, and I sometimes buy castle stuff for the more neutral toned bricks. The exclusive sets (see Lego.com) like the modular buildings are always good.

Keeping it affordable is difficult down here as Lego treats us pretty badly, we get high prices and pay high shipping. For some stuff it ends up cheaper to order from the US lego site (you have to have a US shipping address) and then ship it from there. I use a re-mailer to do that.

Take a look at whats going on in the online community such as brickshelf, flickr, The brothers brick etc. I'm sure you'll find others with similar interests. I find a lot of the stuff teens build (start wars armies for example) pretty boring but over time you get pretty good at filtering out anything you don't like.

Welcome to ANZFOL
peterab
peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down