Australian and New Zealand Fans Of LEGO - Forum
Login to ANZFOL!

Don't have an account? If you're in the Australia and New Zealand region, then why not make one?

It's free, it gets rid of those annoying unrelated ads when browsing the boards, and it only takes a few seconds to set up before you can start posting and discussing LEGO with the great ANZFOL community!

We look foward to seeing you on the boards!


Cheers,


Darth Legois, Captain Zuloo and the ANZFOL team!

Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by timmyc1983 on Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:34 pm

ok so i've done a slowed down version:



i hope that's better??

legoeyeshutlaughing

timmyc1983
Jackaroo
Jackaroo

Number of posts : 339
Location : Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2013-01-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by Locomotive Annie on Tue 23 Apr 2013, 2:07 pm

Yup better legosunglasses

It's got a good pace, but without trying to shake your eyeballs out.

Locomotive Annie
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 285
Location : New Zealand
Registration date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by Kaila on Tue 23 Apr 2013, 2:20 pm

I'm impressed Timmy, both those are good work. And Peter I read carefully all those old threads and saw what you guys were trying. I saw in particular your passion to get things going and was impressed. It's a shame it didn't go through, yet I'm glad the community hung in there. Forumotion is pretty stable as a host but yeah there wont be any money coming in that's for sure lol.

But do we really need money? Assuming we do run comps as a way to generate traffic among other ideas - Prizes are nice but recognition as the comp 'winner' isn't too bad either. I ran successful forums and it cost nothing, didn't need to rely on ads/donations at all. I suspect the chatbox may crash because were running on phpBB 1 script? Its a shame they chose that one when starting up this place given PunBB and Invision are far more stable (imo).

As a test have a look here - http://gyaru.forumotion.com/
It has a Forumotion chatbox at the top, does it crash you as well? (You'll need to register to see it - dont worry i set it as auto/simple reg) I made that (unrelated) forum a few days back as a design test for a fashion forum.

Seems a shame to let the WP crowd go begging >< Big activity on that front.

Anyway these promo vids should draw some, it's a start.

Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Number of posts : 460
Location : Brisbane
Registration date : 2012-07-07

http://www.giantess.ws

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by peterab on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:04 am

Kaila wrote: And Peter I read carefully all those old threads and saw what you guys were trying. I saw in particular your passion to get things going and was impressed. It's a shame it didn't go through, yet I'm glad the community hung in there. Forumotion is pretty stable as a host but yeah there wont be any money coming in that's for sure lol.

But do we really need money? Assuming we do run comps as a way to generate traffic among other ideas - Prizes are nice but recognition as the comp 'winner' isn't too bad either. I ran successful forums and it cost nothing, didn't need to rely on ads/donations at all. I suspect the chatbox may crash because were running on phpBB 1 script? Its a shame they chose that one when starting up this place given PunBB and Invision are far more stable (imo).

As a test have a look here - http://gyaru.forumotion.com/
It has a Forumotion chatbox at the top, does it crash you as well? (You'll need to register to see it - dont worry i set it as auto/simple reg) I made that (unrelated) forum a few days back as a design test for a fashion forum.

Seems a shame to let the WP crowd go begging >< Big activity on that front.

Anyway these promo vids should draw some, it's a start.

I signed up to the Gyaru site. The chatbox seems to work fine there. You're probably correct about the phpBB 1 script.

I'm not sure we really need money, but I won't put too much personal effort into a site that exists at the whim of external owners. I'm happy to let others do so though.

peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 662
Location : Melbourne Australia
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by Kaila on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 1:05 pm

peterab wrote:
I signed up to the Gyaru site. The chatbox seems to work fine there. You're probably correct about the phpBB 1 script.

I'm not sure we really need money, but I won't put too much personal effort into a site that exists at the whim of external owners. I'm happy to let others do so though.

Yeah I totally see where your coming from there, and a huge part of me agrees. Creator could shut down for fun or whatever reason at any time too and all effort is lost. In fact this is the greatest point anyone could make concerning here and it sums up things well.

Being the creator is a tough responsibility, I would love to just recreate this entire place (and trust me I could do it way better than the kids did, back-end framework and promotion wise) but the necessary huge effort and long term commitment is a big issue and somewhat problematic. Forums are nice but it can take precious years off your life when you make/run one and it gets big. And at the end of it all you ask yourself if it was really worth it (From my own experience the answer was a resounding 'no') Don't mean to get all philosophical or depressive now lol.

Kaila
Silver Fern
Silver Fern

Number of posts : 460
Location : Brisbane
Registration date : 2012-07-07

http://www.giantess.ws

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by peterab on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 2:01 pm

Kaila wrote:Yeah I totally see where your coming from there, and a huge part of me agrees. Creator could shut down for fun or whatever reason at any time too and all effort is lost. In fact this is the greatest point anyone could make concerning here and it sums up things well.

Being the creator is a tough responsibility, I would love to just recreate this entire place (and trust me I could do it way better than the kids did, back-end framework and promotion wise) but the necessary huge effort and long term commitment is a big issue and somewhat problematic. Forums are nice but it can take precious years off your life when you make/run one and it gets big. And at the end of it all you ask yourself if it was really worth it (From my own experience the answer was a resounding 'no') Don't mean to get all philosophical or depressive now lol.

For my part I have trouble seeing what function an Australian LEGO forum should play beyond a gateway to international sites like TBB and EB and a fairly limited amount of local news. The other block I can see is that the stronger local LUGs have their own communities already (Melb, Sydney & Brisbane).

On a more personal level I'd rather spend my time on a coding project I am more interested in rather than a forum. I've had an idea for a website like rebrick for some years, and since I think rebrick fails on a few levels I think I might still give it a go. Most importantly it would be useful to me even if few other people use it.

peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 662
Location : Melbourne Australia
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by Locomotive Annie on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 2:29 pm

Speaking as a Kiwi I enjoy this forum because it has a local 'down under' quality about it which the more international forums don't. New Zealand doesn't have any strong Lego groups worth mentioning so ANZFOL is very much for me at least my local forum. Living as I do in a rural area away from the main centres I don't have any access to what Lego groups there are especially now that I no longer feel safe to drive a car, so the internet is very much my point of contact with other AFOL folk.
Yes I'm involved with EB too, but because it's a large and very international forum topics aren't always of particular interest to me and it's easy to feel a little lost there sometimes. It has its place sure, but I don't see it as being the be all and end all of Lego forums.

Locomotive Annie
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 285
Location : New Zealand
Registration date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by PrincessLime on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 2:34 pm

i like here too, stuff eurobrick they think they so great haaaah.

PrincessLime
Sheep Dog
Sheep Dog

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2013-04-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by timmyc1983 on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 5:57 pm

Yes i too enjoy the local 'feel' this forum has. And speaking as a new comer, it's a lot less scary than EB for example to start with, less intimidating. I agree EB and the like are great because they are global but it's always good fly the Down Under flag, whether it be Aus or Kiwi :D (esp around this time of year!)

timmyc1983
Jackaroo
Jackaroo

Number of posts : 339
Location : Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2013-01-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by Ajax on Fri 03 May 2013, 3:21 am

Hey I just linked an ANZFOL Flickr group to the ANZFOL Website, is this OK? I should have asked first. The Flickr page is just for ANZFOL members to post their collection, MOD & MOC photos. Thought it may help to get a few more members or visitors to this site. Any members who are on Flickr please join the group, I think you need an invite or something to join, I think I set it up as invite only so its exclusive to ANZFOL members, but its still a public group so anyone can view the photos. Just message A request admin and we can send an invite. BTW Timmy I made you an Admin of the group so you can invite and ANZFOL members who contact you to join the group.
Let me know ADMIN (from this website) if this is OK. Thanks

Ajax
Vegemite Eater
Vegemite Eater

Number of posts : 285
Location : QLD
Registration date : 2012-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by timmyc1983 on Fri 03 May 2013, 9:15 am

Haha yay, Admin legolaugh

But it's a great group, we should all join legohappy , as you say Ajax it will help with getting more traffic having it linked to the forum.

timmyc1983
Jackaroo
Jackaroo

Number of posts : 339
Location : Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2013-01-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by peterab on Sat 04 May 2013, 9:34 am

Hi Ajax, I think it's a good idea to have a Flickr group. I guess we could also have a Facebook page if you wanted to. Anything that directs more traffic here would be positive.

Send me an invite and I'll join http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterab/

peterab
Town Moderator
Town Moderator

Title : Slippery roundhouse fingers
Number of posts : 662
Location : Melbourne Australia
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by timmyc1983 on Sat 04 May 2013, 2:21 pm

Peter, i just sent you an invite legohappy

timmyc1983
Jackaroo
Jackaroo

Number of posts : 339
Location : Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2013-01-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum CMS issues & brainstorming to index this place better and draw members

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:14 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum